Lincoln-Way East Presents:
This year, in an effort to follow social distancing guidelines and still give students the opportunity to perform, our spring musical team has decided to produce two small-scale musical productions: a cabaret covering a wide variety of musical theatre repertoire as well as an adaptation of Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods. If you are interested in auditioning, please read the following information thoroughly.
***AUDITIONS WILL NOW BE HELD VIRTUALLY***
PLEASE READ THE UPDATED INFORMATION BELOW
PLEASE READ THE UPDATED INFORMATION BELOW
Mandatory Student & Parent Meeting
Thursday, December 3rd at 7:30pm via Webex
Monday, December 7th at 7pm via Webex
- One or both parents AND auditioning students must attend one of these mandatory meetings. Students will not be allowed to audition unless they and at least one parent attends. If a student and/or parent absolutely cannot attend on one of these days, please email email@example.com to schedule an individual meeting time.
Virtual General Auditions
SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY 11:59PM ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9TH
- General auditions will consist of two songs. Your first song must be a song from the general audition Into the Woods cuts, and the other should be a 32 bar or 1 minute cut from another contemporary musical theatre show: for this, you will need a piano accompaniment or karaoke track. Your second song should be something that contrasts your Into the Woods choice and showcases your versatility as a singer and actor.
- You are to film yourself singing both audition pieces. Please submit ONE video of BOTH songs: you may either film two separate videos and splice them together or film both songs in one take. You may either upload your audition video to this Google Drive or send a YouTube link of your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Into the Woods tracks are cut and ready to go. If you need help cutting the track for their contemporary song, you must request help from either Mrs. Kotze or Ms. Samawi sometime between Friday, November 20th and Friday, December 4th.
Song Choice Session
Friday, December 4th at 3:15pm via Webex
- If you need help choosing a contemporary musical theatre song for auditions, Mrs. Kotze and Ms. Samawi are offering this session via Webex. You should attend if you would like help picking a song, if you need help choosing a cut of a song, or if you would like to request help with cutting your track.
Monday, December 14th at 3pm
- Callbacks will be held for Into the Woods on this day via Webex. The callback list will be distributed as soon as possible after general auditions. Students can prepare for a possible callback by being familiar with the vocal callback cuts and tracks. Most students called back will be asked to sing from these cuts. Nothing needs to be memorized!
- Students will be reading sides (scene cuts) from the script at callbacks.
- Not receiving a callback does NOT mean that you are not cast! The production staff calls back the minimum amount of people possible. We only need to see the people we have questions about. We cast many roles solely based on general auditions. Callbacks are NOT for your benefit, they are for US. No one is “owed” a call back, and not getting called back does not mean that you auditioned poorly. They are not a “second chance” for you to audition for us. They are strictly for the production staff to clarify our casting and make sure we are on the same page. We will make them as small and brief as possible. Therefore, plan on showing us everything you’ve got in your general audition!
What are we looking for?
- We are aiming for a cast of 18-20 for each production. We may be casting understudies for Into the Woods. Please mark on your audition form if you would be willing to accept an understudy role or not.
- We want to see acting and characterization coming through when you sing! Be aware of which character is singing your cut, and read the description of that character. What might they sound like? How would they stand, move their arms, what facial expressions? What is their intent? What is their current emotion in this vocal cut? We need singing ACTORS; not just singers.
- Memorization is preferred but not required. You should be VERY familiar with the vocal cut so you can lift your face out of the page and show us who this character is.
- When auditioning for a show, it’s important to be familiar with the basic storyline and songs. See the show synopsis and character descriptions, and feel free to do more digging online. YouTube is a great resource for watching excerpts from productions to get a feel for the show.
- While we do not look for perfection in your audition, we do look for preparation. Included below is a pre-audition checklist. We are looking for well-prepared, responsible students that demonstrate their commitment to the program.
- The following is a general idea of our rehearsal schedule. A detailed calendar will be released early next semester.
- January: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays (3-6:30pm)
- February: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays (3-6:30pm) & some Fridays (3-5pm)
- March: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays (3-7pm) & most Fridays (3-6pm)
- Spring break: NO REHEARSAL
- Tuesday, April 6th-Sunday, April 18th: tech rehearsals and performances (details TBD)
- Most importantly: one of the biggest factors in casting is student conflicts. We need a cast that is, first and foremost, committed to being at rehearsals for the full rehearsal time. Please consult with your parents/guardians about any and all possible spring semester conflicts that you may have; even if they are just a possibility. Accurately write all possible conflicts on your audition forms including school activity commitments, out of school commitments, work commitments, family commitments, possible vacations, etc. ANYTHING that may prevent you from being at rehearsal. Be very specific about dates and times of conflicts.
- If you have any conflicts for tech rehearsals or performances, you will not be cast.
- If you are cast and later reveal to the production staff that you have multiple conflicts that were not on your audition form, or conflicts on tech/performance days, you will most likely be removed from the production and your role will be re-cast. Please be very honest about all possible conflicts, and be honest with yourself and with us about your willingness to make this production a priority.
- A participation fee of $75 is due from every cast member and will be charged during tech week. Apparel is included.
At this time, no public performances are permitted.
- Masks are to be worn at all times
- Social distancing (6 feet) is to be maintained at all times
- Temperatures will be taken at each rehearsal
- Students should stay home from rehearsal if they are experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms
- Failure to adhere to the guidelines above will result in removal from the spring musical
- Attend a mandatory Webex meeting with one or both of your parents
- Consult with parents/guardians, making sure to accurately list any and all spring conflicts on...
- ...this audition form! Fill out prior to submitting your audition.
- Choose and prepare one Into the Woods song for your audition
- Choose and prepare another contemporary musical theatre song for your audition
- Attend the song choice help session on December 4th with Mrs. Kotze & Ms. Samawi if needed
- Request help with cutting your track (if needed) sometime between Friday, November 20th-Friday, December 4th
- Submit your ONE audition video of BOTH songs by 11:59pm on Wednesday, December 9th
- Audition form to be filled out prior to submitting your video
- Google Drive to upload your audition video
- Into the Woods character descriptions
- Into the Woods general vocal audition cuts
- Into the Woods general vocal audition tracks
- Into the Woods callback song cuts & scenes
- Into the Woods callback song tracks
- Everyone must fill out this form in order to receive the Webex links to the parent meetings, song choice session, and callbacks!